IoT devices have the potential to revolutionize many businesses, improving functionality and making it easier to accomplish a wide range of business goals. In addition, many people have their own devices, which they rely on to improve their overall quality of life. Implementing an IoT network, however, can be more difficult than anticipated.
The IoT landscape has become increasingly complex in recent years. Not only are more devices connected than ever, devices may have a wide range of connectivity and security issues. Understanding internet of things challenges can help you navigate this changing landscape and improve your ability to connect the devices you need.
The Complexities of the IoT Landscape
There are a number of IoT implementation challenges that must be taken into account as you explore the IoT landscape and consider the right devices and solutions for your specific needs.
There are more IoT devices now than ever before. From voice controllers that control many of the elements of a network to doorbell cameras, automatic anomaly detection devices, and even medical devices, there are a wide range of connected technologies that can end up on a network. Increasingly, that means that network administrators must carefully consider how they want to allow devices on the network and how they need to protect and segment other areas of the network.
While some IoT devices connect easily to the network and to other devices on it, connectivity remains one of the biggest challenges in implementing IoT devices on your network. Many devices are not compatible with others, which means they may not integrate as seamlessly as users might have hoped.
As network administrators navigate IoT challenges and solutions, they must consider how to ensure compatibility between devices and how to ensure that those devices connect effectively. At the same time, they may need to consider whether those devices will connect to anything they shouldn’t, including whether users could attach personal devices to a network and access private or confidential information.
IoT devices generate a greater stream of data than ever before. That data can prove incredibly valuable to many users. It may offer client information or, in the case of medical devices, patient data. It may provide insights into the device or building functionality. With IoT data, many businesses can improve security or enhance the overall customer experience. However, that does mean a large stream of data that businesses must contend with–and that increased data usage can create increased security challenges.
Challenges in IoT Implementation
There are a number of challenges that IoT users must take into account when implementing a new device or managing their IoT networks. These include:
- Security. IoT devices often do not have the built-in security many users expect of their networks and devices, which can make it more difficult to protect the network as a whole.
- Connectivity. In order for IoT devices to work effectively, they need to be connected to the network. Unfortunately, connectivity may not reach the entire business. This is particularly true of devices in the field.
- Utilizing data effectively. While IoT devices often provide a wealth of data, it’s necessary to carefully evaluate that data in order to use it effectively, and many businesses do not have those solutions in place.
- Scalability. As businesses grow, it may prove much more difficult to keep up with IoT needs. Many of the devices that work on a small network may no longer fit your needs as the business, and therefore the network grows.
- Access. Many IoT devices need to be accessed remotely in order to be effective. Unfortunately, remote access may be more difficult than anticipated.
Managing these challenges is an essential part of ensuring that your IoT project works as effectively as possible.
Solutions and Best Practices: Overcoming IoT Network Challenges Effectively
While introducing IoT devices to your network can be complicated, there are many best practices that can help make that introduction more effective.
- Choose the right devices. Do your research ahead of time to make sure that devices are secure, protected, and compatible with your existing network.
- Make sure you have the infrastructure in place ahead of time. If you do not have an adequate IoT infrastructure, including the bandwidth to handle the data generated, you may find it much more difficult to keep up with those demands.
- Set clear device policies. Make sure you know what devices are connected to your network
- Set up clear security protocols. Implement security gateways for IoT devices and ensure that you have strong passwords in place to prevent unauthorized devices from connecting.
- Monitor IoT traffic and apps. Keep up with everything happening on the network, including IoT traffic.
By focusing on these key elements and utilizing best practices as you manage your IoT network, you can protect your network and implement IoT devices more effectively.
Success Stories of Seamless IoT Integration
There are a number of fantastic examples of seamless IoT integration that allow businesses to make the most of their connected devices. Check out, for example, Disney’s Magicband system, which keeps up with guest data and movement throughout the parks; or Coca-Cola’s extensive IoT integration, which includes real-time vehicle tracking, dash cams, temperature regulations, and more, all in one easy solution. These examples of successful IoT integration can provide businesses with a blueprint for how to build their own networks and protocols more successfully.
Improve Your IoT Functionality
Utilizing effective IoT services can improve your network security, streamline your data streams, and provide you with more information about the devices that are most effective for your needs. By preparing ahead of time for potential challenges in IoT implementation and working with the right provider, you can feel more confident about your security and your network.